Kidnapped Kebbi Judge Reveals How He Escaped Bandits’ Camp After Eight Days in Captivity

Justice Faruk Hassan Bunza of the Kebbi State High Court has recounted his harrowing abduction by bandits, revealing how he was taken from his home, held at a remote camp and eventually escaped after spending eight days in captivity.

The judge was abducted from his residence in Bunza Local Government Area on July 26 and regained his freedom on August 3. His experience was disclosed by North-West conflict reporter Bakastine in a post on X on Tuesday.

Bunza said five armed men took him from his residence and forced him to trek about 25 kilometres barefoot to the Dutsen Bandan camp. On arrival, he met two other kidnapped Fulani men being held by the group.

The judge said the bandits later showed him photographs of himself and the Chairman of Bungudu Local Government Area of Zamfara State, Nura Umar Abdullahi. They told him both men had been targeted for abduction but refused to reveal who had ordered the operation.

He also said his captors showed him newspaper reports about his kidnapping and told him they were aware of claims that N200 million had been set aside for his release. According to his account, more than 20 bandits operated from the camp and relied on informants in nearby communities for intelligence.

Bunza said the kidnappers maintained strict security around the camp and remained sensitive to anything that could expose their location. He recalled that they once warned him not to cough because they feared the sound could attract attention.

His family eventually paid N50 million for his release, DAILY POST reported. After most of the bandits left the camp, two men remained behind to guard him. Bunza said he later overheard them arguing, with one suggesting that he should be killed.

The judge said he realised at about 5pm that he had been left alone. He removed the covering over his face and fled on foot before reaching a nearby village, where he boarded a commercial motorcycle to safety. His release was later confirmed by the Kebbi State Police Command, his family and the state Ministry of Justice.

Despite the ordeal, Bunza said the experience would not stop him from performing his judicial duties. “My kidnapping can never deter me from my work. I swear to Almighty Allah, nothing on this earth can change my attitude to work. It will motivate me to double my effort,” he said

Leave a reply

Follow
Search
Loading

Signing-in 3 seconds...

Signing-up 3 seconds...