Makinde Vows No Surrender to Terror as Oyo Intensifies Rescue Efforts for Abducted Students, Teachers

Global NewsTrackNewsPolitics23 hours ago6 Views


Governor Seyi Makinde has declared that Oyo State will not bow to terror following the abduction of students and teachers in Oriire Local Government Area, assuring residents that every possible step is being taken to secure their safe return.

Speaking to journalists in Ibadan after a high-level security meeting on Monday, Makinde said the government was ready to engage through every lawful means necessary to end the crisis and rescue the victims.

“We will not give in to terror. We will do everything possible to ensure that our children and their teachers are returned safely,” the governor said.

The abduction occurred on Friday when armed attackers stormed schools in Ahoro Esinle Community, triggering panic across the state and renewed concerns over insecurity in the South-West region.

Makinde described the security situation as “fluid and difficult,” revealing that security agencies had already launched coordinated rescue operations to track down the abductors and secure the victims without further casualties.

The governor also signaled a willingness to consider the demands of the kidnappers if it would guarantee the release of the victims.

“So, whatever it is they demand, we are ready to listen to them and address the ones we can address as a state government. But the children and their teachers must be released immediately,” he stated.

Amid growing public outrage, Makinde appealed to residents to support ongoing operations by providing credible intelligence to security agencies.

“If you see something strange, say something, and expect us to do something,” he said, stressing that community cooperation remained critical in tackling insecurity.

Reflecting on Nigeria’s worsening security climate, the governor lamented the decline in communal responsibility and social trust, saying citizens must begin to look out for one another again.

“We once had a country where we were each other’s brother’s keeper. How did we descend to this point? These are not foreign people; it is us against ourselves,” he said, referencing renowned novelist Chinua Achebe.

Makinde also disclosed that the state’s surveillance aircraft had arrived in Nigeria and was currently undergoing reassembly and installation at the Nigerian Air Force hangar in Lagos. According to him, the aircraft is expected to become operational before the end of June.

The governor explained that the surveillance project was initiated before the latest abduction incident as part of broader plans to strengthen security monitoring around the Oyo-Kwara border and the international boundary between Oyo State and the Republic of Benin.

Meanwhile, teachers in Ogbomoso staged a peaceful protest earlier on Monday over the abduction and the killing of one teacher during the attack, demanding improved security around schools and the immediate release of those still in captivity.

Leave a reply

Follow
Search
Loading

Signing-in 3 seconds...

Signing-up 3 seconds...