Wike’s Aide Defends FCT Flooding Response, Says Abuja Floods Predate Minister’s Tenure

Global NewsTrackPoliticsNews1 hour ago2 Views

The Federal Capital Territory Administration has pushed back against criticism over the flooding recorded in parts of Abuja after heavy rainfall on Saturday, saying the problem existed long before Nyesom Wike became FCT minister.

Lere Olayinka, Senior Special Assistant on Public Communications and Social Media to Wike, said the latest flooding was not evidence that the current administration had “destroyed Abuja”. He accused lawyer and activist Deji Adeyanju of using the incident to attack the minister.

Olayinka, in a statement issued on Monday, said several parts of the capital were affected by the downpour but that the floodwaters later receded. He added that the FCT Administration was aware of the problem and was taking steps to reduce the risk of future flooding.

He pointed to previous incidents, noting that flooding had been reported in parts of Wuse, Jabi and Lokogoma in 2019, while Lokogoma, Efab Estate, Gudu and some connecting bridges were also affected in 2022. He argued that those incidents occurred before Wike assumed office.

“Sad reality is that Abuja has been witnessing floods long before Wike assumed office,” Olayinka said, while questioning whether the minister could be blamed for flooding recorded before his appointment.

The FCT official said the latest incident also exposed wider urban challenges facing Abuja, including pressure on drainage infrastructure, poor waste management and breaches of planning regulations as the capital continues to expand.

Olayinka also blamed the activities of scavengers who allegedly remove drainage covers, leaving drainage systems exposed to refuse and other materials. He said the FCT Administration was working on a new type of drainage cover that would be more difficult to remove.

He added that the government was reviewing Abuja’s 1979 Master Plan to reflect the city’s changing population and development needs. Olayinka also questioned Adeyanju’s understanding of the capital’s planning challenges, alleging that the lawyer had previously defended a person who built a school and church on land designated for recreational use.

The FCT Administration’s response comes as flooding and drainage remain recurring concerns in Abuja. While Olayinka argued that the problem cannot be blamed solely on the current administration, the latest incident has renewed questions about drainage capacity, urban planning and enforcement in Nigeria’s capital.

Leave a reply

Follow
Search
Loading

Signing-in 3 seconds...

Signing-up 3 seconds...